A Short History of
Pleasant View Tennessee
Click on any image to view the historical image gallery
Pleasant View Historical District
Pleasant View, Located in the northern part of Cheatham County, was formerly known as "Bradley's Stand," as well as, "Turnbull Horse Stamp." The mail and telegraph lines ran from Clarksville to Nashville and the Town of Pleasant View served as a stagecoach stop and rest area between the two cities.
The Town was named Pleasant View by a group of citizens in 1870. The first post office was in operation in 1880. The first postmaster's salary was $12.00 per year and escaladed to $300.00 per year by 1911. The first rural delivery of mail was made in 1909.
In 1886, Pleasant View had a population of nearly 300 people and had emerged as the seat of tobacco factories, as well as a large loose leaf tobacco market.
Prior to 1850, children were schooled at home. From 1850 to around 1870, children were taught in two homes located in Pleasant View. The first school building was erected in 1870 on five acres dedicated to the Pleasant View Academy, more commonly referred to as "The Highland Institute." Students could attend the Institute at no cost for five months of the year. Students who attended the Institute beyond five months were charged $3.00 per month per student.
The Citizens Bank was established in Pleasant View in 1905 and by 1920 had capitol stock, surplus, and undivided profits of $22,000.00. This bank survived until 1958.
The first and only telephone was installed at the local drug store in 1910. When telephone service was available to the private sector, the rates were $1.50 per month and subscribers were told that the rate would always remain the same. The first dial system was installed in 1936.
Around 1930, the first electric lights in Pleasant View were powered by Tennessee Light and Power Company. By 1938, the TVA Electric Service came to the town by means of C.E.M.C.
The first water supply for Pleasant View was from a drop off from Mill Springs. Later, the citizens of the town drew water from a public well located in the center of what is now Main Street. The water was drawn by a hand pump. As the area developed, private wells and cisterns became the source of water for Pleasant View citizens. Pleasant View Utility District now provides water service to the area.
Pleasant View was incorporated under a house bill in 1921 and consisted of approximately 105 acres. The local government consisted of a mayor and six aldermen and was divided into three wards. The town was unincorporated ten years later. In 1996, the citizens of Pleasant View voted to re-incorporate under a public act Mayor/Aldermanic Charter. The population of Pleasant View at the time of incorporation was approximately 2,150. Currently, the population is 4,164. Initially, the town of Pleasant View was governed by a Mayor and two Aldermen. David Davis served as Mayor from October 10, 1996 until December of 1998. Morris Bidwell served as Vice-Mayor,/ Alderman, and Don Worrell served as Alderman. In 1998, The town voted to increase the number of Aldermen to serve on the Board to four.
The current Board of Mayor and Aldermen consists of: Mayor Perry Keenan, Vice-Mayor/ Alderman, Danny Rediker, Alderman June Nicholson, Alderman Randell Bracey, and Alderman Jordan Tupper. The City Recorder is Lisa Parker, the Building Inspector is TBA, the Police Chief is Michael Douglas, the Deputy Clerk is Theresa Barnes, the City Attorney is Chris Clark, and the Fire Marshal for the town is Chief PJ Duncan, of the Pleasant View Volunteer Fire Department. Chief Duncan became the first paid firefighter for the department in August of 2001 because of a donation given to the department from the Town of Pleasant View.http://www.townofpleasantview.com/liverystables.jpg
Pleasant View City Hall is currently located at 1008 Civic Court. The town is bounded on the North by the Robertson/Cheatham county line. The Eastern boundary goes from Goodsprings Road to Triangle Road, the Southern Boundary goes along Old Clarksville Pike from Triangle Road to Oaklawn Road, and the Western boundary goes along Oaklawn Road back to the Robertson/Cheatham County line. Pleasant View maintains 55 city streets (about 24 miles). The Schools within the city limits include Pleasant View Elementary on Church Street and Pleasant View Christian School on Hicks Edgen Road. The larger congregations within the city limits include Baptist, Methodist, and Church of Christ.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider, and employer. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).
1008 Civic Court, P.O. Box 127 ~ Pleasant View, TN 37146 ~ (615) 746-0600
City Hall Hours of Operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM